Miami Musings

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Question

What does a Black gay man that went to one of the best public universities in the country for undergrad, the best university in the country for grad school and who has worked for mayors of 2 of the largest cities in the United States have to do to get a job? I got this in my email

Thanks very much for your application to [Urban Non-profit] regarding the ED position.Unfortunately, your skills do not match our needs at this time. After a lengthy search process we have selected another candidate for the Executive Director's position. Thanks again for taking the time to share your resume with us.

Cheers,
Director

When I went to their website and read their mission was to provide pro-bono planning and urban design services to communities of color in Oakland, CA, I figured I may be a shoo in for the job. I have pretty good credentials and I am a person of color that grew up by Oakland and was willing to take a decent pay cut. Of course when I clicked staff there were no people of color on the staff (a sad but true reality in tha area of community development) but a bigger bonus (i thought) for me. What is a boy to to do? I have an idea but I just not ready to share it yet.

I still have the flu, I am still bored at work, but the time has come for me to close on the house. By this time next week I will have the most money I have ever had in my whole life. Godd Bless America.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home