Miami Musings

Thursday, October 06, 2005

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME


So last weekend I went home to enjoying turning 30 with the people that made it all happen. I knew that it was going to be a great weekend when I got on the flight from Miami and was sitting in front of a drunk retard that kept asking how much a taxi was to Powell Street and then apologizing. He had about 7 double scotches over the four hour and forty five minute flight.

I order the DaVinci Code and finished the piece of sh*t on the plane. The book was such trash. On my flight to La Isla Encata 2 weeks ago I read Angels and Demons. It was 7.5 million times better.

Upon landing the nice Filipino Hertz agent hooked me up with a major upgrade from a Suzuki Aero to a Nissan Murano. Life was going well.

Upon arriving home I saw that my parents have taken full advantage of having 3 grown children to turn our nice home in a subdivision in to the middle class palace they have alway dreamt of. The hda new carpets, new computer, new bed, new tv and have painted the whole place. I never really lived there, but it was like I really never lived there. I spent the whole night watching Sex and the City season 2, pondering life with the bf, pondering life at 30, and all that good stuff.

On the big day my parents and I went to Chez Panisse and had a nice time trying to figure out what a Nettle Pizzetta. It was good and for the record it is a small pizza with grilled nettle blossoms on it. My dad complained that the chicken wasnt; white meat and that we had spent $5 for a bottle of water. My mother learned that good wine is not always pink.

Over the next days I had a chance to see and talk to new and old friends. The love of my life from HS hung out with me and my baby sister in the Castro. I had a chance to see both of my college roommates. The man that loved me so bad decided that it was ok to only send me a text message for my bday. Oh, an official retarded man sat on behind me on the plane ride back.

Overall I am so happy to be thirty. I cant wait til next year.

1 Comments:

  • Castro? Bay Area dude? Educated and Black in Miami? Tsk, Tsk...

    Okay, so I read your posting about looking for a job in Miami. It's not going to happen. if it did it would be a disservice b/c you would not have the comfort level that a professional does when they are, a) not wholly an outsider and , b) not at the mercy of an employer b/c there is no market for you. I have a freind, a grad of Harvard, from Long Island who could not get a job to save her life, despite a job history including working for the US Dept of Treasury, AMEX, and Citibank. Another friend who is a grad of Cornell and Columbia could not get a job here for years and was finally hired by an Indian dean of engineering at a local university. It was still murder. Even as a Latino I had to finally play the Latino race card hard, as well as network with politically tied thuggish zealots. I was still making a half of what I made in NY.

    If a Black or White (or Hispanic without strong insider ties) is going to live in the poorest city in America her or she better start a biz that serves tourists or an perhaps an online biz. That's what finally worked for me. But the weather, tropical scenery and partying are GREAT!!!

    By Blogger ., at 4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home